Experienced Estate Planning Lawyer on Long Island
Wills | Trusts | Powers of Attorney | Living Wills and Healthcare Proxies
You’ve worked hard your entire life to build a legacy for your loved ones. The greatest gift you can give them is the preparation and implementation of an effective estate plan, clearly laying out your instructions regarding the disposition of your assets, whether in a will or through a trust.
It’s also critical to plan for the contingency that you might not be able to make your own decisions. The execution of a power of attorney, living will or health care proxy can minimize the stress and anxiety to those you love.
At the Law Office of Bonnie Lawston, we have provided effective and thorough estate planning counsel to people in Suffolk County and Nassau County on Long Island for more than 20 years. We take a comprehensive approach, carefully assessing all your needs and explaining the different strategies for meeting your goals. We will work side-by-side with you throughout the process, helping to ensure that the plans you put in place meet your individualized objectives.We offer a special discount to senior citizens. We are also willing to come to your home to meet with you. To set up an appointment, contact our office online or call us at 631-425-7299.
An Overview of Our Estate Planning Practice
We handle all issues related to the preparation of an effective estate plan. When you hire us, we will start by gathering as much information as we can about your situation, from the breadth and size of your estate to your objectives. We will then carefully explain the different strategies for meeting your goals, including:
- Wills—We can help you implement a simple or pour-over will, providing specific instructions regarding distribution of your assets, payment of final debts and taxes, and the care of any minor children.
- Powers of attorney—Attorney Lawston will prepare documents that allow you to designate another person as your attorney-in-fact, with limited or general powers to act on your behalf.
- Living wills or health care directives—We will work with you to put measures in place that either specify the medical treatment you will receive, or designate another person to make medical decisions for you, if you cannot.
- Trusts—We can help you avoid the probate process and minimize stress and anxiety to your loved ones with the execution of a trust. We prepare revocable and irrevocable trusts, living and testamentary trusts, and special needs trusts.
Out-of-State Executor Attorney
We represent clients nationwide, if you are a fiduciary (executor, administrator, or trustee) an heir or beneficiary of a New York estate. If the decedent died in New York or has assets in New York State, we can help you. If you are chosen to represent the estate or if you are receiving an inheritance from a New York estate, contact our law firm today.
There are Two Types of New York Estates
- The Decedent resided in NY at the time of death and their domicile is New York at the time of death; or
- There are assets located in NY, at the time of death, and an ancillary proceeding is needed. The Decedent may have died elsewhere
More information about out-of-state probate help.