Estate Administration & Trust Litigation
Long Island Estate Administration &
Trust Litigation Lawyer
If you have been designated as an executor, administrator, trustee, or personal representative of an estate in New York, you may be at a loss with respect to what’s required of you, and what you’ll have to do to settle the estate. It can be an extremely complex process—more than just ensuring that the property in the estate is distributed according to the terms of the will. You want a knowledgeable and experienced attorney to guide you through the process. If you make a mistake, you may not be able to correct it, and you may be liable for it, so the best advice is to get the assistance of a competent probate attorney.
At the Law Office of Bonnie Lawston, we have provided thorough and effective legal counsel in probate and estate administration matters for more than 20 years, representing clients throughout Nassau County and Suffolk County on Long Island. We will carefully explain the law and the process, as well as your rights and responsibilities, so that you can effectively handle your duties and close the estate in a timely manner.
We offer a free initial consultation to anyone who has questions or concerns about the administration of an estate. Contact us by e-mail or call our office at 631-425-7299.
An Overview of Our Estate Administration (Will or No Will) Practice
We work with clients throughout the probate and administration process, from your appointment as executor also known a fiduciary, to the settlement of the estate. Attorney Lawston will help you:
Take the appropriate first steps to secure the estate and file the necessary papers so that you do not make a mistake that will cost you substantial attorney fees in the future or result in liability.
- Put together an inventory/accounting of the debts and assets of the estate, and marshal the assets correctly
- Provide proper legal notice to all parties with an interest in the estate
- Obtain valuation of property, when necessary
- Settle all estate liabilities while obtaining all the necessary releases and documents to protect the estate and you as an heir or fiduciary
- Ensure that all estate or inheritance tax returns are completed and filed while maximizing the estate and your inheritance
- Ensure that the fiduciaries are conducting themselves in a proper manner and not taking advantage of the estate
- Oversee the orderly distribution of the assets of the estate in accordance with the terms of the will and/or New York State intestacy law, and all applicable laws
- Maximize the distribution, calculate your commissions, and minimize the expenses and taxes
- Most of all, ensure that you fulfill your duties as the representative of the estate in accordance with the laws
Prevention Will Save You Money
Hiring an attorney will ensure that you prevent mistakes, correct mistakes already made and that you receive the maximum amount of money that you and the estate are entitled to receive. We all believe in taking the necessary steps to protect things like our home or car through preventative maintenance. Why not prevent and save money with estate matters? Hire an attorney to prevent disasters and mistakes from costing more than they have too.
Beneficiary or Heir
We protect your rights and interests as we know what the fiduciary should be doing and not doing when administering an estate. Since we represent clients on both sides of the “fence,” we have the experience and know what to look for to maximize your inheritance quickly and more efficiently. We provide the highest quality of services in a quick and reasonable amount of time based on your case and circumstances. We take pride in assisting those who may not have the liquid funds upfront and provide full services as needed to each and every client. Your case will receive personal attention from Bonnie Lawston, Esq. and the staff.
If your loved one set up a trust as an estate planning tool, we can help you with any trust administration issues that arise because of their death.
We provide comprehensive estate administration services to out-of-state clients who have an interest in a New York estate, whether as an heir, beneficiary, executor, administrator or trustee. We also handle estate and probate litigation.
Out-of-State Executor Attorney
If you are a fiduciary (executor, administrator, or trustee), an heir or a beneficiary of a New York estate, we can assist you. In fact, we represent clients nationwide. We can help you If the decedent died in New York or has assets in New York State. If you are chosen to represent the estate or if you are receiving an inheritance from a New York estate, contact our law firm today.
There Are Two Types of New York Estates
- The decedent resided in NY at the time of death and their domicile is in New York at the time of death.
- There are assets located in NY at the time of death, and an ancillary proceeding is needed even though the decedent may have died elsewhere,
Find out more information about out-of-state probate help.